What does your LinkedIn daily checklist include? Visibility, relationships, business development, sales, productivity, all benefit from a regular and routine process. My underlying Goal is to create opportunities to PHONE 5 PEOPLE a day! An important goal is to turn online activity into phone calls – with prospect, with customers, with partners. It’s too easy […]
Quick Tips about LinkedIn – hopefully these are easy to grasp and implement.
Some people have been very successful at developing their personal brand into very successful businesses. Richard Branson and Virgin, Steve Jobs and Apple, Jamie Oliver to highlight just 3.
To me there are three things they do extremely well:
- They have created and developed a reputation or personal brand that positions them very successfully
- They have a means of monetizing their value in ways that go far beyond trading time for money
- They run promotional projects and develop partnerships with peers to create a win:win
Solo-preneurs such as independent consultants, coaches, trainers, some sales people, and others have developed products or alliances that match these aspects and they run them as virtual organisations.
Business leaders do similar but in a more formal way, through a company that employs people and has contractual relationships with suppliers and distributors.
In both scenarios there are many similarities about the person who is the leader, the figure-head, the entrepreneur. And Advanced Personal Branding is an important factor.
The reality also is that they have a team of people who support them in what they do, and these people gain in several ways, financially, reputationally, in skills and experience etc.
Think of a few people in your field, or other fields, who you recognise as leaders? Think of 3 specific people – maybe at different levels – A-List, B-List and C-List to use the media celebrity classification.
Would you like to be viewed by others in the same way? How would that feel?
How would it change the way you went around lead generation, and the revenue and profit of your business?
How would it change your goals, plans and activities?
Who would benefit from Advanced Personal Branding?
Here are some examples of the types of people we’ve worked with for whom this strategy is applicable:
- Business Leaders – people such as the CEO or Managing Director who are the public face of the business and who have a team of people who they support and who support them.
- Independent Consultants – especially those who have a productized offering such as books, training courses, group programs and other revenue systems.
- Sales Leaders – people in a senior business development role who are leading growth in existing or new markets for the business.
- Subject Matter Experts – for example in technology companies this could be the CTO, or in a marketing agency the Creative Director.
What does Advanced Personal Branding look like in practice?
There are many activities that can be part of the mix to develop and build visibility through advanced personal branding such as:
- write a book
- speak at conferences
- be active in the professional association for your sector
- run a masterclass group
- lead a discussion group or forum online
And alongside this LinkedIn is a powerful network to support, re-inforce and leverage that activity.
How can LinkedIn be used as part of a strategy to develop Advanced Personal Branding?
There are many techniques and tactics for how LinkedIn can be used to support an advanced personal branding strategy such as:
- write our LinkedIn Personal Profile to convey our value and influence in a way that positions us as a leader in our field, and be found for this
- create content, especially articles and status updates to lead the thinking in the specific specialisation and educate and inform followers
- curate content from other reputable sources to help followers to develop their knowledge, their sources, as well as to build credibility
And within that strategy, LinkedIn can be part of the Customer Journey to lead people to other resources, such as newsletters and downloadable information via landing pages on our websites.
What results can be achieved through Advanced Personal Branding?
With a well designed and executed strategy there are many potential outcomes and benefits, for example in the following areas:
- Increased conversion rates at various stages throughout the buyers’ journey, for you and/or your marketing and sales team
- Generate and attract enquiries and approaches for partnership, co-ventures and other commercial alliances
- Gain invitations to speaking opportunities to further raise your personal and business profile
- Referrals to people who would benefit from your specialist knowledge
- Enquiries and leads for sales opportunities for you, or that can be passed to your sales team
- Increased visitor/traffic to your Linkedin profile, website and other digital and online properties, where you can build your following, your email list etc.
Having various lead capture, qualification, response and lead nurture processes and systems in place is beneficial to effectively and efficiently handle what will hopefully be a rapid increase in the number of inbound contacts and enquiries received.
Three essential elements to make Advance Personal Branding commercially effective
The ability to deliver value to partners as well as customers and clients becomes increasingly important for those who want to develop an advanced personal brand.
- Clarity about our Identity – because we will be investing a lot of time, effort and money to develop our reputation. Building a reputation around a skill and ability that we are naturally good at is so much easier and less stressful.
- Mastery of our Market – to understand not just customers and clients but also the other players, and whether they are competitors or potential collaborators. This helps us identify a unique niche where we can be Number 1.
- Effective Promotions, Projects and Partnerships – design and execution of effective promotional campaigns ourselves and then agreeing and executing joint campaigns, co-promotions, partnerships and similar activities. This helps us plan and run successful campaigns that achieve financial, development and learning goals and increase in scale progressively.
It takes years to build a reputation. It can also take years to build the team and infrastructure to support the monetization of that reputation. For those who are successful the rewards can be huge.
How Linkedin can be used in Advanced personal Branding
Here are a number of suggestions for ways LinkedIn can be used as part of Advanced Personal Branding
- To research a market, to understand what it is, who the players are, what they offer and who their clients are
- To communicate our identity and specialisation through our LinkedIn Personal Profile and the content we share
- To identify potential partners and activities that we can collaborate around, such as conferences and events
- To develop a channel of followers who we can provide value to
- To invite our followers to enter our sales funnel is an appropriate way
- To share the successes that we have helped our customers, clients and partners to achieve
Additional LinkedIn Lead Generation Strategies from Wurlwind
This is one of 7 LinkedIn Lead Generation Strategies we’ve designed and developed to progressively help people get more benefit from LinkedIn.
Have a look at other strategies via these links, or download our Pocket Guide below for a handy guide.
And if you’d like an exploratory chat please book a call and add a topic via the following online diary.
Welcome to the Wurlwind Community Blog. Here you’ll find articles, features, tips and techniques to help you develop and grow your business as a Trusted Advisor.
If you’re looking for a roadmap or playbook to Connect LinkedIn with Sales you’re in the right place. What follows will pull together the various strands of Sales for Sales and Social Selling and join them up into a cohesive framework. This is not a 5 minute Quick Fix – but individual steps it have […]
We know it’s always interesting, insightful and valuable to find out about other people and companies who are using LinkedIn. As we find LinkedIn Success Stories that we feel are valuable we’ll add them here. If you find something that you feel would be worth sharing please let us know. LinkedIn Success Stories from […]
From the LinkedIn Training courses I run I know that Sales Leaders and Business Owners appreciate guidance when assessing and planning how best to use LinkedIn, for themselves and their team. This is why I’ve developed this LinkedIn Roadmap. I hope it will help you to see how you can improve the way you use […]